To enable consumers of mental health services to engage in artistic expression that promotes recovery, empowerment and community.
To provide studio space, community and opportunity for creative initiative to facilitate mental, spiritual and economic health.
Projects of Artbeat Studio
Artbeat Studio Artist-in-Residency Program
Studio Central, Urban Arts Centre
Upbeat Artworks, Gallery Boutique (Social Enterprise)
Artbeat Studio Inc. is a unique community based, peer directed program that provides social supports, working art studio and gallery space, and mentorship for individuals living with mental illness for the purpose of recovery and empowerment. Artbeat Studio is a non-profit registered charity committed to decreasing stigma and discrimination that coincides with mental illness and poverty through positive action, mental health education and advocacy.
Services are provided free of charge to participants. The intended beneficiaries include each participant artist, their caregivers, the local inner city community, and society as a whole.
Established in 2005, Artbeat Studio is the first of its kind in Manitoba and stems from one family’s personal experience with mental illness. Nigel Bart, founder and Studio Facilitator of Artbeat Studio, was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 19 and has since been using various forms of art to help with recovery from the illness and the stigma that surrounds it.
- Studio space and mentorship is offered free of charge
- We respect and value each individual person
- We focus on the process of art making and personal development
We are committed to:
- a holistic approach to mental, economic, spiritual, physical, social and emotional health
- supportive, peaceful, non-censoring environment
- supporting alumni in personal growth and creative endeavours
- promoting healthy communication and interpersonal relationships
- enriching support system for each individual
Art played a big role in my recovery, it helped me bolster my self-esteem, sharpen my creative process and gave me a voice to express myself.
Nigel Bart, Founder and Studio Facilitator